Rob Sherwood, and SDR transmitter performance

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Tue Oct 14 22:49:03 CDT 2014

BTW, I should point out that Rob Sherwood is very well respected, and many
people follow his testing with baited-breath.  He also operates the radios
that he tests during contests and at other times, giving him valuable
real-world experience, which sometimes amplifies on, or changes his results.

I believe that he is among many people that think the "standard" methods for
testing receivers will need changing, as SDRs bring a whole new set of
challenges, problems, and benefits.  Quantifying actual receiver performance
may differ drastically between "traditional" receivers and SDRs, and new
testing/quantifying methodologies need to be created.

I also forgot to follow-up on the mention of "Pure Signal" on the SDR
transmitter side.  Some hams are concerned about poor transmitter
performance of certain SDR transmitters.  This may be justified, depending
on the hardware and user setup.  Using the older SDR technologies, such as a
QSD/QSE-based rig, there is a significant possibility of unwanted signals
being created (or not adequately suppressed) and transmitted.  The
most-often issue is poor image rejection, similar to a poorly-calibrated
analog phasing transmitter.  Another is LO carrier leakage.  Neither of
these can be removed with bandpass filters, as they are typically very close
to the wanted transmitted signal.  Good balance of the I/Q channels, and
sufficient carrier suppression is not always easy, especially without decent
test equipment.  A spectrum analyzer is REAL handy here.  Audio noise (or
Windows sounds!) from a poor quality sound card can also generate
significant wide-band garbage, along with unwanted spikes at
sampling-related frequencies.  Again, this kind of crud is extremely
difficult to remove by filtering.

The problems above are much less of an issue with Digital Up
Converter(DUC)-based SDR transmitters.  The phasing and adjusting are all
done while the transmitted signal is still in the digital (number) realm,
and as long as careful planning has been done with the DUC such that the
numbers representing the signal do not fall into certain
number-representation pitfalls, the final "signal" sent to the D/A converter
"should" be pretty clean.

The HPSDR folks (one in particular) have been working on a method of
pre-distorting the transmitted signal while it is still represented as
numbers inside the DUC/SDR blocks, to effectively counteract distortions
that would otherwise occur to the signal.  When I was involved in the DTV
transition, Harris did this with digital television transmitters, and they
called it "Digital Adaptive PreDistortion".  I'm not sure if another DTV
transmitter manufacturer already had that term under lock or not, but the
result is the same.  If you have a receiver tuned to your transmitted
signal, and monitor that signal for distortions coming up, you can insert a
"correction" signal to offset the distortion.  Of course, it's much harder
than that in practice.

These problems are not directly associated with any of the usual transmitter
distortions and unwanted signals that occur during amplification of the
transmitted RF signal.  You still need the typical low-pass filters, etc
these days once an analog amplifier chain is included.  It would be
interesting to come up with an SDR transmitter that directly creates a
powerful RF signal right out of a high-power D/A converter!  But then, you
would still need analog filters to remove clocking artifacts (at a minimum).
A 100W D/A converter would be something!

Anyway, that's more ramblings from Charleston.
73, Terry, WB4JFI