Password strength

Mark Whittington markwhi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 18:59:51 CDT 2014

That really does depend.  If you use completely random eight-character
passwords with all types of characters, sure.  But if you use Y3l!0wGr4p3
or something, probably much less because of the way the password cracking
tools are written.  Honestly you're better using a passphrase, something
like "I eat Caesar salads on Thursdays only."  Not only are things like
that easier to remember, but they are incredibly strong:

Y3l!0wGr4p3:
51.2 bits of entropy
Search space of 5.75e21 passwords
Search time of 1.83 years (at 100 trillion guesses/sec)

"I eat Caesar salads on Thursdays only."
189.1 bits of entropy
Search space of 2.10e73 passwords
Search time of 66.90 trillion trillion trillion trillion centuries (at 100
trillion guesses/second)