Technical Nets on Tuesdays

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Tue Oct 21 22:50:03 CDT 2014

It's nice to see some technical info on the AMRAD repeater.  Hal brought up
an excellent discussion topic at the end of tonight's session.  It's
becoming more difficult to build hardware these days.  It's also becoming
more cumbersome to write software.  I suggest that we discuss this, and
maybe do some individual research ahead of time that we can share.  This
club was built upon doing technical stuff related to Amateur Radio (check
the charter), and may be we can provide some solutions to it becoming more
difficult to do technical stuff with today's fast-paced technology.

In particular, I would like to throw out the idea of AMRAD having some
ham-radio specific "Make" sessions.  Maybe at member's homes or at Frank's
shop, if he is willing.  Gin up a project, and have a group of members
attack it.  Not a generic Arduino or Teensy or other "light the LED" thing,
but a real, ham radio project, even if it's a morse code sender or somesuch.

I would also propose that AMRAD to something similar with software.  Maybe
take an existing ham radio project (such as for an Arduino or Pi), and have
someone walk others through the software needed to accomplish the project.
This could even be done on a Tuesday evening session, along with some
previously-created documentation on the AMRAD web site.

I'm sure there are AMRAD people building stuff, and others that would be
interested in following along.  Even (and especially) if the project is not
completed yet.

Hal also mentioned Andre's work on a hopper, from what I understand it runs
on an Arduino.  That would be a GREAT topic for both a Tuesday night session
AND a Make session.  After all, you might not find certain problems with it
until several are running at the same time!

I am also interested in any projects that AMRADers are working on.  Please
put a short description of what you are working on here on tacos, even if
not completed.  One of AMRAD's main goals is to further Amateur Radio
technology, along with learning about technology.  I encourage members to
share what they are doing.
73, Terry, WB4JFI