Antares launch from Wallops visible low on the eastern horizon in Nova @ 1845 tonight

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 29 15:45:13 CDT 2014

On 10/29/2014 4:11 PM, Phil wrote:
> Over here, we'd say, "Gosh, it blew the f*** up!"

  I'm sure there were more than a few expletives uttered over here about
40 year old Russian engines with a less than stellar track record.
I wonder who decided buying and using reject surplus was an acceptable risk?

  Check out this video of the news conference that followed. Pay
particular attention to the last question and answer starting at 39:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5HaD5zZjeE&list=PLiuUQ9asub3RHqKdK_XZSZ8I_981UPhvX&index=2

  I've been told that certification of these refurbished engines doesn't
involve full thrust testing. As I recall, a thrust of 108% was announced
just prior to the 'unfortunate event'.
Hmmm ....., too much throttle?