MARCONI WIRELESS TELEGRAPHY c1919 LIFEBOAT SPARK TRANSMITTER Type 241C

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Tue Nov 4 13:47:06 CST 2014

Boy, you guys do things big time. My spark transmitter was a 6V buzzer with a morse key, connected to earth (I learned that from Marconi) and my 60 ft loft aerial. It never occurred to me to incorporate a tuned circuit as an added complication. I could monitor it throughout the long wave band. And medium wave. And short wave - from 180 metres to 10 metres. I had been playing for an hour when my Mum knocked on the door and asked if I might have been doing any "experiments" that might cause interference on the TV - VHF and UHF.

I lived in fear for several weeks waiting for the authorities to knock on the door and haul me off to prison (I was about nine years old).

I'm still a little nervous. They have long memories.

Phil M1GWZ

PS. Once you have read this confession, please eat it.