Military Tech Manuals

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Sat Nov 15 07:57:15 CST 2014

Yes, that does sound more like nitrogen triiodide, although certain transition metal picrate salts are also explosive as well as highly coloured. Picric acid itself is a weak acid and not particularly corrosive, but it is one heck of a detonator.

Incidentally, we do Open Day demonstrations of nitrogen triiodide at my University. We used to tickle it with a feather on a stick to detonate it, but now we have a totally reliable contactless method - it detonates when exposed to the beam from one of those violet laser pointers you can now buy for less than twenty bucks at Hamvention. Both red and green laser pointers have insufficient photon energy to initiate detonation - a nice demonstration of activation energy.

Phil M1GWZ