Invitation: Space weather & Radio Propagation

Patrick Sullivan expatrick at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 15:56:39 CST 2014

HacDC Amateur Radio Club W3HAC invites AMRAD members and any interested
friends to this special free presentation at our club space in Mt Pleasant,
Washington DC on Wednesday night.

*What: Presentation at HacDC by Dr. Damien Chua, Naval Research Lab.*

Dr. Damien Chua works at the Naval Research Laboratory and will present a
survey of ionospheric variability and its effects on RF Communications.  We
will first review the process of radio wave propagation and reflection in
the ionosphere.  We will then examine how the ionosphere varies spatially
and over various timescales.  The drivers of ionospheric variability will
be traced out through the Earth's magnetosphere and into interplanetary
space to their solar origins.  We will review space weather measurements
and indices available to the amateur radio community and will provide some
interpretation of them for understanding the space weather effects
discussed above.

*When: Wednesday, December 10, 7:30pm*
*Where: HacDC. 1525 Newton St NW, Washington, DC*

HacDC is located on the third floor of the St. Stephen and the Incarnation
Episcopal Church, 1525 Newton St. NW, at the intersection of 16th and
Newton Streets, NW in the Mount Pleasant/Columbia Heights area of
Washington, DC.

Visitors should enter the church through the westward facing doors, which
are colored red.  If you have trouble getting access to the building call
202-556-HACK (4225).

*RSVP*: http://www.meetup.com/hac-dc/events/218619003/