LED bulbs

Karl W4KRL W4KRL at arrl.net
Wed Jan 14 13:17:56 CST 2015

Richard,

My experience with LEDs is similar to Terry F's. When we renovated our
kitchen I had standard 4-inch recessed fixtures installed and put in
Sylvania LED conversion bulbs from Lowe's. They are great. They come on
instantly, have a pleasant color and dim nicely on a dimmer certified for
CFL/LED. I like them better than incandescents and I don't bother to yell
at anyone for leaving the lights on when not in the room. My six ceiling
lights and two drop pendants use 72W compared with the wasteful halogen
undercabinet lights that burn 200W into the darkness. Unfortunately, I have
not found any acceptable LED replacements for the little 20W G4-pin bulbs.
They all look green.

We just redid the family room and I couldn't be happier with the 6-inch
Sylvania LEDs and Phillips spots.

Previously I had almost completely converted to CFLS with variable success.
Some worked well and some were useless with poor color, long startup time
and short life. On the pro side I never noticed any RFI.

I just checked the Staples bulb against the two year old Home Depot bulb.
The HD bulb wiped out the FM broadcast band as before. *No discernible
noise from the Staples bulb*. Technology marches on!

*73 Karl W4KRL*