Raspberry pi 2 announced

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Feb 4 08:30:32 CST 2015

Zachary Yarashus <zyarashus at gmail.com> writes:

> In what may be even bigger news, Microsoft appears to be working on
> a free ARM version of Windows 10 that will run on the raspberry
> pi:
>
> [[https://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support]]

They've been trying ARM Windows for a couple of years.  Surface 2 was
kind of DOA.  There's been a major race to the bottom price-wise on
Intel-based tablets, since Intel is rightly concerned about losing a
out to ARM completely in this arena.

The article below refers to ARM-Windows as "Windows without Windows
Applications".  That may be a little harsh, and there might be some
folks who write more code for Windows than me (that would be "anyone
who writes any code for Windows whatsoever") who find this a bit more
compellling.  Terry, got any thoughts?  Ham Radio Deluxe on a tablet
could be pretty spiffy...  I wonder what the pain factor for porting
well-written software is.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/02/windows-on-arm-lives-on-even-as-it-dies/

A less mature platform with higher specs is the ODroid C1.  I love
mine.  It has gigabit ethernet on a dedicated HSIC too!
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G141578608433&tab_idx=2

Am I gonna buy a raspi2 as soon as the delivery channel in the US
becomes apparent?  Oh heck yeah!  It may not have the top-drawer specs
of the C1, but it has a larger community and this latest rev
completely steamrollers my traditional problem with my Pis - that
they're too anemic to do real stuff on :)

-r