Today's factoid - there is no RS-232!

Terry McCarty - WA5NTI 3t3 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 6 21:50:00 CST 2015

Karl -

Well ...  it will always be RS-232 in my old decrepit mind - at least I
know that I will be understood when I say RS-232.

I think this falls in the same category as us hams operating CW with our
telegraph keys.

   1. It has always bothered me a little that Morse code is called CW
      (Continuous Wave), when it is actually about the most NON
      continuous wave I know of.
   2. Of course, with CW we are referring to the characteristic of the
      key down signal when no information is being transmitted.
   3. However, based on that definition, AM, FM, and RTTY should all be
      called CW as well.  In fact, those are really the true CW modes,
      because they use a 100% key down carrier, a real continuous wave,
      whether they are transmitting any information or not.

--
     Terry McCarty
    3t3 at comcast.net
        wa5nti