WMAL

Nan and Sandy Sanders radiodog77 at pobox.com
Mon Feb 16 00:29:56 CST 2015

I wonder if WMAL AM will be on the air after the land is sold off.
They have a complex antenna pattern (
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/amq?list=0&facid=73250  down load
pattern plots) that will take a few acres for an array. I don't think
AM radio will be a viable business in a few years.
The local AM situation in my part of East Texas (Gregg County ) is 3
stations. A 1 Kw station owned by Access 1 ( I think ) with ESPN
programming and crap audio. Another 1Kw  station owned by a local guy
who also owns a class A FM station and another AM station. It has a
good signal, good programming and might sell enough commercials to
pay the power bill. The third station is about 1000 yards from me and
is owned by a guy who owns 3 AM stations and lives 300 miles away.
For the first year after I moved here it was no signal at all,
carrier no audio, carrier with hum, very short periods of audio and
for a few weeks white noise about 20 DB above the normal noise level
from around 1100 KHz to about 1900 KHz ( yes into the 160 meter band
). I was able to talk to the contract engineer ( who maintains around
100 stations in parts of 3 states) and showed him what the station
looked like on the spectrum analyzer. For about the last 3 months it
has had a good signal with fair audio. They transmit the audio of an
Internet radio station with ids and commercials inserted. I have no
idea if any body listens to the station. As one who grew up on AM
radio, I find the situation some what sad.
      Sandy
      WB5MMB