Vandalism in Arizona Shut Down Internet, Cellphone, Telephone Service Across State | Washington Free Beacon

Tom Azlin W7SUA tom at nilza.org
Mon Mar 2 09:09:10 CST 2015

Hi Rob,

Indeed there are two major roads and one railroad north through the
mountains from Phoenix then several long way around loops. Plus we are
close to I-40 north of us.  Given most of Northern AZ was without
internet must be no CenturyLink routes along I-40 so Flagstaff and
Prescott served by a stub? Might be that Verizon has completely
different physical layer.

I thought that that SONET was in fact being done cheaply with folded
loops on single cables ( stubs?) in the ground with multiple fiber
bundles. And that some out here in the West had years ago switched to
mesh networks since SONET to economize.

Next event was that power for most of the two counties that contain
Prescott and Flagstaff was out for several hours last night due to major
storm. We are getting heavy rain and snow depending on elevation out
here. Best rain in several years.

73, tom w7sua