ARRL teaches hams to tell time...

Maitland Bottoms aa4hs at amrad.org
Sun Mar 8 13:49:51 CDT 2015

RS> I weep for the state of amateur radio in the US, since this dispatch is apparently necessary...
RS> http://www.arrl.org/news/view/change-local-clocks-this-weekend-but-not-utc

But here on AMRAD Tacos, I hope we have a different demographic.
With any luck, a few of us know that all this strange manipulation
of local time is decreeded by lawmakers, and that there is a global
database of these decisions known as the "Time Zone Database".
http://www.iana.org/time-zones
The NEWS file is a nice read, chock full of update facts and guesses.
(FYI, this year Easter Island's new standard time will be its old
daylight saving time, no more DST)
http://dxnews.com/ce0y-la5uf_easter-island/

This is one of the awkward times of the year for my thermostat, which
I purchased before the Energy Policy Act of 2005, and thinks DST still
starts in April.

Dunno how many time-nuts we have on Tacos, but I mentioned at Tippy's
yesterday that I learned from the FOSDEM vidieos that Google will
take a whole day to slew its concept of time to the new UTC after
a leap second.

Hopefully everyone has heard by now that there will be another leap
second added at the end of June.

The videos are at:
http://video.fosdem.org/2015/main_track-time/
I recommend Tom Van Baak's talk:
http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/fosdem//2015/main_track-time/precise_time.mp4
(He's got lots of good bits at http://leapsecond.com/ - including the
slides at http://www.leapsecond.com/ten/ )

Have fun,
-Maitland
(wasting time on a day with only 23 hours....)