FW: The Golden Age of Radio in the US

Ralph Wallio, W0RPK W0RPK at netins.net
Sun May 17 05:47:46 CDT 2015

Thanks to William, N4TS, and Jim, KR9U, for catching the transistors in
WWII error.  I sent the following to DPLA for them to consider:

Thank You to Hillary Brady for the DPLA Item, "The Golden Age of Radio
in the US", and Thank You to everyone at the Digital Public Library of
America for all your collective organization, effort and content.

In
http://dp.la/exhibitions/exhibits/show/radio-golden-age/radio-frontlines/radio-codes,
Hillary Brady includes this sentence in the text of, "Uncrackable codes
in WWII": "This paved the way for lighter weight, portable,
battery-operated transistor radios, encased in metal, for military field
use during World War II."

Having first started experimenting with early transistors, Raytheon's
CK722 and GE's 2N107,  while a youngster in 1956, I and other Ham Radio
old timers to whom I recommended this DPLA Item are aware that the first
transistor was developed at AT&T's Bell Labs in 1947 after WWII (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor).

Regardless, Hillary Brady's thought is well taken.   There were
increasingly lighter weight, more portable, battery-operated radios
developed during WWII but they used miniature and then sub-miniature
vacuum tubes.

TNX es 73 de (using Morse Code abbreviations) Ralph Wallio, W0RPK

TNX es 73 de Ralph W0RPK