WB4APR's talk followup

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jun 12 10:51:26 CDT 2015

AMRAD,

I got distracted and off track in my talk and did not make the final points
regarding solar and EV’s:

That is, that AMRAD is a group of DIY guys and on the one hand, DIY solar
is nearly impossible to make cost effective because you must be grid-tied
to get the economic benefit, and you must have licensed contractors to do
the work to get the NET meter from the utility.

BUT- here is my DIY recommendation:  Contract for the smallest system a
contractor will do.  Lets say a 3kW, 12 panel system at $3.50 per watt.
(You get at least 30% back from tax credits).  THEN after it is installed,
certified, permitted, inspected, and approved and you get your NET meter,
THEN, add all the additional panels you want at only about $1/watt for
solar panels and inverters.. http://sunelec.com

Hooking it up is KISS simple.  Just plug the panels into each other (they
come with mating plugs) and run the + and – wire down to the Inverter + and
– terminal (through metallic conduit).  Then connect the AC side, L1, L2, N
and GND to a 20 amp breaker.  Done.  But to be code compliant, you should
loop the L1, L2, out through a $6 AC disconnect switch on the side of the
house placed near the utility meter so the utility can turn the array off
if they have to work on it.  Done.

Same goes for DIY Electric Cars.  There are EV kits available for every
make and model old gas car there is.  Imagine an EV Convertible MGB for
example. Just remove everything gasoline from the old car except the
transmission.  The KIT then adapts a new electric motor at the
transmission, and now you have an EV.

And it is KISS simple!  Two terminals from the battery, and two temrinals
from the motor, connect to 4 terminals on the controller. Then there is a
bracket with a POT on it that you mount to the accellerataor pedal, and now
not only do you have an EV, but you have an EV that YOU can maintain the
rest of your life.  No computers, no microcontrollers, no CAN bus, nothing
to go wrong.  You can use ANY battery chemistry, etc.

Anyway, that is what I was leading up to.  That DIY is alive and well in
the new Clean Energy world we are moving into.

Bob, WB4aPR