WB4APR's talk followup (solar)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jun 13 09:24:31 CDT 2015

Yes, I don�t know about Virginina Electric Code.   But Maryland will only
issue an electrical permit to a licensed master electrician.  Hence I HAD
to hire one.  I hired "james" who sticks up hand written signs on the exit
lanes at the local home depot.  His standard rate to draw a permit was
about $450.

I did 100% of the work plus the schemataics and drawings for the permit,
and all he did was submit them.  Done.  The county inspector turned out to
be easy going and un-critical.  But I had SHOWN him the project weeks
before when he was out for my Heatpump installation inspection (contractor
done).  SO he was just going through the motions the second time.

But the ONE rule that is not standard code is that the HV DC wiring from
the arrays MUST be in metal conduit inside the house because any loose
connection in DC becomes a continuous unquenchable arc until everything
around it is burned up.

One other worry.  I had heard that Maryalnd now REQUIRES any solar
electrician to be CERTIFIED for solar.  This is a $3000
course/certification and "james" did not have it.  But it did not come up.

But I still think the easiest approach is to just by the cheapest GRID
Solar System from Home Depot and have an electrician hook it up with
permits and get it all approved that way.  Then add on DIY later.

Here is a link to one of the Home Depot Grid-Tie-Kits:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-1-060-Watt-Expandable-Mono-Crystall
ine-PV-Grid-Tied-Solar-Power-Kit-GS-1060-KIT/205495634

Add $1000 for an electrician to install it and do all the paperwork and
inspections and utility certification  and you are close to the $3.50/watt
going rate.

But then add all the system you want later at under $1/watt...

How do I get back on tacos at amrad.org?  I cant find a link on the web
page...

Bob