Military radio system.

James Wolf jbwolf at comcast.net
Thu Jun 18 17:00:58 CDT 2015

Alex,

Ah, JTRS.  Yes, this has been the joke or the beans for yes, the last 15 years.  I worked for two companies involved in competing in this area.  Politics, bad decisions and someone’s legacy were at the root of the problem.

What works for one service doesn’t always fit the needs of another.  For instance, the Air force didn’t want a do-it-all communications system due to SWAP (Size, Weight and Power) requirements, because they didn’t need it and the cost was high.  Just developing a known workable waveform from specifications cost in excess of $60 million dollars.

The companies that bid on these programs typically didn’t know how they were going to meet the specs.   A good story and a moderately low bid price along with being a major system integrator was the ticket in. Apologize later.

This has changed somewhat in the last few years or so.  But certainly in the beginning this was a case where technology wasn’t far enough along to meet the expected outcome.

Jim – KR9U