Conspiracy Theories

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 27 14:20:09 CDT 2015

  One day, not so long ago, I noticed a little window icon at the bottom
of my computer screen that wasn't there the day before. Being curious I
clicked on it and discovered that the Microsoft Corporation was offering
me a limited time opportunity to download their newest, latest and
greatest achievement in operating systems, /Absolutely Free/.
Apparently, with no strings attached!

  This seemed too good to be true. A free upgrade from Microsoft? I
immediately became suspicious. Why would a company that has it tentacles
in ever corner of our society be trying to entice us with such a
freebie? Could there be a hidden agenda afoot here? Hmmm .......?

  The possibilities began to boggle my mind. Could this be a sneaky
infiltration scheme that would enable Microsoft to cast a wider web of
corporate control? Perhaps a massive collusion with Big Government for
some nefarious purpose?

  Pondering these questions I recalled that ancient admonition to beware
of Greeks bearing gifts, or giant wooden horses for that matter. Now, as
a tinker electronic tech I've long held the belief that if it ain't
broke don't fix it. So, can anyone suggest a reason why anyone would (or
should) take a giant leap of faith and bite into this tasty morsel,
something I'm always loath to do when temptation nudges me, or should we
all remain cautious and watch from the sidelines?

  However, if the apple seems irresistible, you must reserve your copy
within _/*two days*/_ or pay hard earned cash if later you decide you
want the 'upgrade'. Comments, anyone?

Anon