FCC HSMM killer?

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Jul 29 08:12:16 CDT 2015

Martin <dcmk1mr2 at gmail.com> writes:

> This seems to preclude repurposing wifi gear for things like HSMM, WRT, etc.:
>
> [[https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/kdb/forms/FTSSearchResultPage.cfm?id=39498&switch=P]]

The goal here is to prevent casual users from firing up on channels
which are off-limits in the US (e.g. 2.4 ghz 12 and 13) or require DFS
so as to keep out of the way of radar.  These casual users are
unlicensed and operating under Part 15 (subparts C and E).

As a radio amateur (stuff like HSMM), you're operating under Part 97.
You can make your own transmitters, but are responsible for the
spectral purity and emissions characteristics of your transmissions.
You can also bring in your own radio equipment from overseas for
personal use without type acceptance (unlike, say, the aforementioned
Part 15 users and Part 90 land mobile users).

Working around features like code signature verifying bootloaders and
the like (that may be installed to meet the evolving requirements for
Part 15 type acceptance) in order to make the radio do what you want
is left as an exercise to the reader.

The "invisible hand of the market" is your friend here.  There's
economic incentive for the manufacturers to do the minimum possible to
meet the regulatory requirements while minimizing engineering and SKU
skew (heh) to support their global supply chain.  I predict a level of
difficulty similar to that necessary to make HTs do extended transmit.
A minor speed bump for anyone with technical clue, but my little
sister the paralegal isn't going to be accidentally configuring her
stuff to go out of band.

(Someone who has closer ties to the regulatory framework and reads 47
CFR for fun like I do with Internet policy documents can feel free to
tune up my assessment above).

-r