FW: Three reasons to hold off on Windows 10

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Jul 31 11:14:30 CDT 2015

Alberto di Bene <dibene at usa.net> writes:

> On 7/31/2015 5:31 PM, Rob Seastrom wrote:
>

>           Nothing personal, but none of you folks who have Windows 10 on your
> devices are going to be allowed on my wireless network (or anyone
> else's who has a clue).
> [[https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/]]
>

> Just FUD.... read here :
> [[http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-windows-10s-wi-fi-sense-feature-is-not-a-security-risk/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61]]
> 73  Alberto  I2PHD

Unfortunately, that article is off in the weeds.  The defaults are all
set pointing at sharing your password, and what do most people do when
they're entering configuration on a Windows box?  Why, they take the
defaults *of course*!

It also talks about the behavior from the sole point of view of the
person who owns the network, missing the point entirely that there is
no distinction between the owner of the network's ability to share
passwords and any random person who has the password's ability to
share it over a fairly wide circle with just a click.

On the security discussion lists I'm on, even the folks from Microsoft
are admitting that this is a very poorly thought out implementation.
Hopefully it will get fixed in an update.

So no, it's not "just FUD", and I'm disappointed in zdnet for
defending the indefensible.

-r