MatLab and SimuLink Student editions

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Tue Aug 18 12:48:30 CDT 2015

Over the years, I've often seen Matlab used for various DSP and other
calculations and experimenting, but it always appeared too expensive.  I've
tried to use Octave (a free-as-in-beer alternative), but math is not my
strong suite.

I've received an email from MCM electronics where they are advertising the
Matlab and Simulink Student Suite, along with a Raspberry PI for $162.  Here
is the link:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-16867?utm_expid=8634549-27.0czCl7fSQamjILoiAH9mgA.0

I've also gone to the Mathworks Matlab website and seen that they sell the
Student edition for $99, plus some interesting options for only $10 each if
you buy the options at the time of the Student edition purchase.  I already
have a few Raspberry Pi boards around here, so the Mathworks version might
be better for me.  But, Mathworks seems to indicate that if you buy from
them, you MUST be a student to qualify.  Well, I am dumber than most
students in this area!
http://www.mathworks.com/academia/student_version/

So, I'm wondering first of all is Matlab is worth getting, as I would only
occasionally need it (such as calculating FIR filter) and other misc stuff,
and second if the student edition is good enough for the casual hobbyist.
Should I go for the MCM/Pi package, as it does not seem to be limited to
real world students?  I do not plan to use Matlab in any commercial endeavor
whatsoever.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
73, Terry, N4TLF