Three reasons to hold off on Windows 10

Terry N4TLF n4tlf at wb4jfi.com
Fri Sep 4 11:19:20 CDT 2015

I agree on Mint.  I really don't like the Ubuntu Unity desktop anymore, with
the icons only along the left edge.  Mint allows you to put the icons on the
desktop like "normal".  I currently have computers running Ubuntu 8.x, 10.x,
12.x, 14.x, Mint 17, and various distros on Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Black,
Red Pitaya, Parallella, and other small boards.  Most of these are
dual-boots or triple boots with their age Windows equivalent.

The biggest problem that I have with Linux is that the developers love to
change where libraries and other important things are put with each release.
This often breaks things in a development environment.  I've spent more time
trying to fix broken library links than actually working on the target
application programming.  It's interesting that I can find and run the same
target program on the various ages of Windows, while it can take days to get
the same target program to compile and run on the various Linux
distros/ages.

I'm getting a t-shirt made that says: "Life is to short for Linux" even
though I've been riding that Linux train since the 0.95 release or so.  It
continues to be a bumpy road.

I'm actually OS agnostic, I have several versions of Windows (XP to 10) and
Linux (various distros), and one Macbook Pro (yuck).  They ALL are great in
some areas, and I hate dealing with other aspects of each one.

Pick your poison.
73, Terry, N4TLF