Now let's discuss Windows 10...

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Sun Sep 6 20:42:00 CDT 2015

Here I am putting on my "I-Hate-Windows" hat (that matches my "Life is too
short for Linux" t-shirt)...  Don't ask about the "iOS is lame" shorts!  Or
the CP/M flip-flops, which are still TTL.

I have decided to upgrade my email file server machine (this very computer)
from Win 7 to Win 10.  However, I keep getting a "we couldn't update the
system reserved partition" error.  I realize this has to do with the hard
drive partition sizes, but I'm not sure how to fix that.  I've found some
instructions with Google on how to solve this, but they don't appear to
match my disk configuration, as laid out below:

If I run diskmgmt.msc, and look at Disk 0, I see:
first: an unnamed 8.35GB partition that says Healthy (Recovery Partition),
with 100% free space
then: SYSTEM RESERVED 31M NTFS partition that says it's Healthy (System,
Active, Primary Partition) with only 1MB free space
then: Gateway (C:), 468.56 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump,
Primary Partition) with 316.53GB free

I also have a Disk 1, which is: Server_J (J:), 465.76 NTFS, Healthy (Primary
Partition) with 341.55GB free  This disk contains all the files that I keep
and share around the LAN.

The first drive is an SSD, about a year old.

I believe the 31MB partition is the one that needs to be bigger, but I'm not
sure how to do that, since I would need to shrink the partition AFTER it
first.  Or, maybe use make the unnamed 8.35GB partition before the 31MB one
smaller, since it appears to be 100% free?

Before I accidentally destroy the drive, are there words of wisdom out there
from someone else that has done this?  I wouldn't worry too much about
pushing forward except this is the one computer that I don't want to wipe
out.  I do have a backup drive making images, but it's still a LOT of work
to restore from backup if I don't need to.

Yes, I understand the irony of asking about this Windows 10 problem after
bringing up Linux problems.  But, as I said before, I am OS agnostic!
73, Terry, N4TLF