current state of the rtl-sdr (plug and chug) art...

Martin dcmk1mr2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 15:36:18 CDT 2015

The preamp made a huge difference for me.  IIRC the number of packet
decodes increased by an order of magnitude.  The filter didn't seem to have
so much impact on decodes.  Even without the preamp the RTL-SDR gains
settings make a big difference.

The etch-a-sketch software is Plane Plotter - they offer a free trial but
it expires.

The elevation was about 400'  (Tenleytown) and the attic was about 40'.  I
had big hill to the east so I was surprised that I received so many tracks
in that direction.

Also worth a look is RTL-1090 and RTL-1030.  These include a signal
visualizer that might help with amplifier tweaking.