Anyone play with Tecsun portable receivers and antennas?

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Sun Oct 11 19:13:37 CDT 2015

Has anyone used the newer Tecsun portable receivers, as found on ebay for
$50-150?  I see that some of them tune LF, down to 100kHz.  The
near-top-of-line PL680 covers LF, MW, SW, FW, and aircraft bands for about
$100, but there are many more models below it, and a PL880 that is higher in
cost, but no aircraft.  Are there any other inexpensive (under $150 or so)
portable receivers that we should look at?

They also have some MW loop antennas that won't quite tune to LF (as they
come..).

I'm thinking of a portable radio for LF (2200 and 630 meters), HF ham bands,
and possibly aircraft as well.  I wonder how sensitive these Tecsuns are.

My next door neighbor has a Realistic DX-390 that wasn't working.  After I
reset the CPU (all power removal) it started up fine.  I could hear a nearby
NDB (CH) pretty good with it, at least comparable to my active antenna and
other radios.  Pretty impressive.  I ended up finding one of them on ebay...

73, Terry, N4TLF