Goldie, did you say Wing Attack, plan R?

Nan and Sandy Sanders radiodog77 at pobox.com
Tue Nov 3 16:38:21 CST 2015

  Back in the day, as a new airman fresh out of computer school and
new to the direction center, I was given a tour of the console room.
The NCO giving the tour pointed to a box on the side of the Sr
Directors console with a key switch and told that the switch was the
result of a phone call on a very quite day with nothing going on from
a missile site wanting to know why the missile bay doors had opened
and the missile was going through its launch sequence. The computer
had decided it did not like some random airliner flying through its
air space and was going to shoot it down. The keyswitch put a human
in the path of the lunch command.
  I can readily believe the Okinawa incident happened and it probably
was not the only one like it.
      Sandy
     WB5MMB