Recommendations wanted for HT

Zachary Yarashus KJ4BXT at arrl.net
Wed Nov 4 07:15:55 CST 2015

+1 for Yaesu. We've had at least two or three other brands of radios, and
none have held up as well as the Yaesu's.
I've put them through a lot too! One of the things I find amazing is that I
have a VX7R that's 5+ years old now, and the original battery will still
run the radio all day.
The FT-60R is good, the only thing it doesn't have is the IPX
certification, but unless you're planning on talking a lot in the pouring
rain, you'll probably be fine. And it does have a good belt clip.

Two things I'd look for are an S-meter and a DTMF pad. If you're doing
foxhunting the S-meter makes it much more enjoyable. I know that sounds
like a no-brainer, but some of the (Chinese) radios don't have them.
The DTMF pad isn't as important, but I use them on a weekly basis (I run
the NVTN Tuesday nights), and especially some of the newer radios don't
have them.

--
73, DE KJ4BXT K