Staff quality at Radio Shack

Iain McFadyen ki4hlv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 12:06:41 CST 2015

Maybe a little off-topic for the group but....

I just went to the store to buy an AC adapter.

The staff member did not understand the relevance of the word "TIP" written
on the socket at the end of the cable, and the "+/-" symbols on the adapter
where the Adapaplug plugs in.

I thought I had better check. After saying over and over again, '12 volts
centre positive" and getting a blank/puzzled stare back from her.

It was indeed the wrong way round. Could have ruined a perfectly good FTTx
ONT.

Meanwhile, I am having problems with the power supply for a Uniden
BCD396XT. Does anyone else in this group have such a device? When I connect
the Uniden-supplied charger, the scanner says "Invalid voltage" on the LCD
display. I have replaced the NiMH batteries. This is what is stipulated in
the manual.

Iain