the story of Standard Temperature

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Sun Nov 8 17:52:46 CST 2015

Ha! It is interesting to note that in the Systeme Internationale (used just about everywhere OTHER than the USA), 'standard' temperature is 298 kelvins or 25 degrees Celsius, since it is easier to maintain an accurate temperature slightly greater than 'ambient' than at 'ambient' (i.e. ca. 20 degC) itself. However, it's nice to see that in 1931 at least some effort was made to get the US to comprehend the concept of 'degrees Celcius'. As we know, it failed.

I do accept that it is more comfortable for most humans to measure dimensions at 20 degC than 25 degC, but I have to object to the use of the phrase "most measurements".

Phil M1GWZ