Red Pitaya SDR update

Terry N4TLF n4tlf at wb4jfi.com
Wed Nov 11 21:53:19 CST 2015

What I would really like to see is a scheme similar to the openHPSDR hardware.  IIRC, it uses a 122.88MHz VCXO oscillator that can be locked to an external reference, via a PLL in the FPGA.  That external reference is either an onboard 10MHz oscillator, or a 10MHz signal from a GPSDO, rubidium standard, or whatever.  I have a few of each here, so I can take my pick.  I need to go back and check exactly how the 122.88MHz oscillator is locked in the Verilog code.

I would prefer to actually replace the 125MHz oscillator with a 122.88MHz one.  I know that messes up using the RP for a lab instrument, but I’m not sure that is the best use of the RP anyway.  Especially without all the voltage dividers and other front-end junk required to make it a true lab-grade instrument.

I’m a little concerned about actually running a 120+Mhz signal through the expansion connector, and the traces on both boards.  I’ve had experience with trying to run 76.8MHz through similar connectors on the Charleston SDR, without much success.  If we actually replace the oscillator on the RP board itself, then we only need to worry about getting access to the controlling voltage.

I’m glad to see that both the ADC and DAC clocks are derived from the same resistor settings.

It still would be nice to see a full schematic of the RP front end.  With that, we might be able to do away with the input lowpass filter components, and do some subsampling as well.

I wish my funds were less limited, as I would immediately get a second RP to do some creative dissecting on!
73, Terry, N4TLF