Red Pitaya board on sale under $200!

Terry N4TLF n4tlf at wb4jfi.com
Mon Nov 30 21:32:21 CST 2015

As Martin said earlier, yes there are some people here that are using the Red Pitaya, especially for the basis of a nice SDR.  I just received my second one today.  For the money, it’s hard to beat as an SDR building block.  With TWO channels of 125 Ms/s ADC and TWO channels of 125 Ms/s DAC, plus other I/O, and a nice FPGA with embedded dual ARM9 hardware cores (NOT taking up any FPGA fabric), it is a pretty good device.  HF diversity reception is one interest, for example.

I’m not sure that I totally buy into the “lab instrument” usage, but for a quick-and-dirty device, it’s also useful.  Developed by engineers at CERN in their spare time, it has a decent design and backing.

Check out the blog at redpitaya.com for more info.  There is also a Google Group for those interested in pursuing the RP as an SDR, SDR-NET.  I’ve not mastered the “Google Groups” thing yet, but the interest there is growing, with people from around the world.

I have no connection with Red Pitaya.  I just know a good SDR block when I see one.
73, Terry, N4TLF