windoze 10

Terry N4TLF n4tlf at wb4jfi.com
Sun Dec 27 18:32:36 CST 2015

The only problem that I've had with actually running Win10 is the unexpected
rebooting after it installs updates.  I think there is an option to disable
that, which I will look for when I'm not so busy - or lazy.  The info below
is to let you know how many Win10 boxes that I have that are working FINE.

I haven't had a blue screen, or any program crashes on any Win10 box - yet.
Even my "ham" computer with a lot of SDR programs has been reliable with
Win10, which flaked out on occasion under Win7.  So far.....

I do have one computer (this i3 Gateway) that refuses to upgrade to Win10
from 7.  It tried again today to do it, so Microsoft is still pushing the
upgrade.  This machine doesn't have enough space in the proper (system
reserved) partition to do the upgrade, although the drive itself has plenty
of room.  Alberto sent a pointer to fix that (Thanks Alberto!!), and I've
started doing it a couple of times, but other things got in the way.

So, I have my main development computer (Dell Studio XPS), my Surface Pro 3,
my Dell XPS420, my Shuttle, and my gigantic HP laptop, all on Windows 10
(and most dual-boot to Linux).  My Dell Studio XPS had a severe hard drive
crash about two weeks after upgrading to Win10, but that was a separate
hardware failure.  I had to put the drive into a fridge for 24 hours to get
it to work again for a short period.  The USB drive backup fixed about 80%
of that crash as it turned out.  A new Samsung 750GB SSD has taken its
place.

I also just got a new Dell XPS8900 computer to replace the six-year-old XPS
Studio.  The 8900 will eventually become my main machine, with the XPS
Studio moving to the ham radio position, and the XPS420 moving to the
workbench.  Since more and more test equipment is becoming
computer-dependent, the old Dell XPS-400/XP machine by the bench needs to be
retired - or at least given a simpler life.  There are also a sampling of
(ugh) Gateway, (ugh) HP, Sony, Toshiba, and homebrew desktops and laptops
spread around Foxlabs (lest you think I was exclusively Dell!).

I've also moved to a LOT of Solid-State Drives (SSDs).  Mostly Samsung, but
with a few Crucial and Sandisk thrown in.  The hard drives NOW mostly act as
a periodic backup, so when (not if) they crash, I lose the backup but not
the main drive, from now on.  An old LG NAS 2TB also helps out.

Oh I forgot that my Acer Iconia W3 tablet also won't do Win10.  There aren't
any Win10 video drivers for the display the last time I checked, so it's
stuck on Win 8.2.

Do you like the latest Premiere?  I haven't used it in a few years, I should
probably get the upgrade.  One machine here still has an old version of
Premiere, Pinnacle something, and Avid Newscutter.  Trying to keep them all
straight was a nightmare.  I have a keyboard with colored keys for
Newscutter, but the rest don't match it!

Enjoy your editing!
73, Terry, N4TLF