windoze 10

Michael O'Dell mo at ccr.org
Mon Dec 28 11:25:16 CST 2015

Judy just upgraded her ginormous Sony 10” lap crusher to Win10.

Since she managed to complete the installation (Sony’s recovery disk writer
was a bloody nightmare), she says it’s been pretty trouble-free.
The big surprise I just got is that she said “Edge just crashes when I try to launch it.”
She uses Mozilla as her primary browser and Mozy is finally fully 64-bit under Win10,
so she’s not upset that Edge/Internet-Explorer is hosed.

At the other extreme, the IT folks at the day job are extremely wary of Win10.
A bunch of the enterprise stuff we use heavily has not been thoroughly checked-out
yet and I’ve already spent too much of my life debugging other people’s products
to volunteer. Their problem is much bigger, though. Lots of servers in multiple
locations, all the laptops, file and Outlook sync and interoperability, VPN network
stuff, endpoint encryption that has to start before the system can boot, etc, etc.
They are *very* careful about changing things because it’s so easy to break
something unknowingly that is only discovered by a General Partner on the
far side of the world who can get very grumpy very fast.

Note tha MS is making a *huge* push into “The Internet of Things” (IoT).
There is a list of like 6 different SKUs for the Win10-IoT releases.
Ya know that thing that Gates swore was impossible during the anti-trust
trial? A modularized version of Windoze? Well, Windows Embedded shipped
not long after the trial ended (!!) and it has been a major effort every since.
One of the IoT SKUs is specifically targeted at getting XP off ATM machines!

To give credit where it’s due, Windows with window system and related
crap stripped out leaves a pretty small OS capable of “soft" real-time stuff,
the NT filesystem, and the network stack. IE, it’s VMS86-x64 with a Posix
subsystem if you want. and the HyperV-izer if you want. Basically
a pretty solid OS that has a vastly smaller and more robust attack surface than
full Windoze. It only took them 3 decades to catch-up, but who’s counting?

	-mo