WOW arc welding in the front yard :-).

William Danielson anviljenkins at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 06:55:14 CST 2015

I had a Baofang UV5R set on 146.820, and an old Maxon re purposed public
service radio tuned to a 70cm Ham freq, and a Kenwood TM281 tuned to
146.820. None of the radios heard any of that.

But Computer speaker systems inside the house had quite the GROWLLLL
going on. I noticed the power glitch a few times but the state was
spraying Chloride on the roads so I dismissed the light show at first as
a salt/chloride truck. THEN I caught the glitch and the arc at the same
time and had a Holy STUFF moment :-).

They came out and moved some wires around that day about noon, then
again at 7pm, and were out again yesterday to move some stuff AGAIN :-).

This is an old rotten Ceder pole line here that the Municipal power guys
say they "inherited from Edison"....the Postmaster hit one pole North of
me about a year ago and snapped it off...the lines never came DOWN, they
braced it up with a truck and then replaced it with a new pole. I know
zero about Transmission lines but I did notice that the new pole and
crossarms were different...so the ice and wind must have been the first
real test of their work, and it needed a bit of refinement.

I could see they put some kind of flashing devices up on the insulators
at several locations, one on each phase, I asked them what they were and
they said they were an indicator that showed them the trouble was
further down the line from where the device was.

The wires that were arcing were what hook right into my transformer,
friend in GA said his like that were 12kv and they came through and
upgraded it all to 14kv (I do not recall exact numbers) to get more
throughput.

Bill