London, UK, city of, and otherwise

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 20:28:49 CDT 2016

Actually, it was as late as the 18th century (1752). 1751 officially only had 282 days. Calendar adjustment began with the adoption of the Gregorian calendar (from the Julian) from the 16th century (Greece only converted in 1923.) Details are in that fount of only the purest truth, Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar#Beginning_of_the_year

There are many similar stories of calendar unrest. I particularly like the probably anecdotal tale of a Papal visit to France in the umpteenth century when the Pope was supposedly delayed in travelling by a day. Unfortunately, this caused him to arrive at his destination on a Friday, when only fish could be consumed. So that the sumptuous feast that had been prepared could be enjoyed by all (well, all the important people, anyway), the Pope decreed that the Friday was in fact a Thursday, and the peasants rioted to demand the return of their Friday. You can probably take that with a pinch of tartare sauce (I think I read it in 'Ripley's "Believe It Or Not"'). Nevertheless, the change to the Gregorian calendar was resisted by many countries for fear that it would strengthen the cause of Catholicism. Obviously, the Greeks remained suspicious for the longest. Hardly surprising, when every schoolboy knows that the Ancient Greeks spent all their time fighting the Romans.  :-)

Phil M1GWZ