A trip down memory lane

Phil philmt59 at aol.com
Thu Dec 8 17:47:52 CST 2016

I have several or many of nearly all the parts named in the article and use them on a regular basis. I get most of them at ham rallies and pay pennies for boxes of them ignored at SK sales. Second-hand books on generic op-amp, 555, 74 and 4000 series circuits and data are similarly available dirt cheap. I am rarely at a loss for an old IC (unless it is a custom chip) or equivalent, and those left over following my demise will help to weigh down my coffin when I’m buried at sea (plus the sharp pins will punish me for my many sins).

The only problem is that sometimes I’m spoiled for choice. I had to build a simple audio oscillator recently and spent longer trying to decide whether to use transistors, an opamp, a 555 or CMOS than it took me to build the oscillator. In the end I remembered that I had some surplus piezo sounders with built-in oscillators that cost me about 20p each, and used one of them!

And no, I don’t believe that a guitar effects pedal sounds ‘better' with an LM1458 than with a TL072. And unwanted 7808 regulators make great 9V power supplies - if you know how.

Phil M1GWZ