Kentucky Windage

RICHARD BARTH w3hwn at comcast.net
Fri Jan 27 12:42:38 CST 2017

Shades of my misspent youth.  When I was in the Army many moons ago, the M1 was still

the rifle of choice. Although my official long arm was the carbine, I had to qualify on both.

Of course, both of them (as well as the .45 automatic of the day) are no longer part of the

soldier's gear.

Many years later I was attending the dear, departed Timonium hamfest when hamfests were

disappearing, one by one. It had shrunk to the point where it no longer occupied all the buildings

available on the fairgrounds and one of the larger ones had been rented to some outfit that was

putting on a gun show. Having exhausted the possibilities of the hamfest in almost no time at all,

I decided to stop in and see the gun show before driving home. Walked in the door and what was

the first thing I saw?  A rack holding both the Garand and the carbine.

It was deja vu all over again.

Dick