Planning for the August 21 Solar Eclipse

Bill Liles lilesw at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 04:01:44 CST 2017

Folks, EclipseMob is currently developing software to run on Android and
iPhones. The receiver plugs into the microphone jack of the smart phone.

Martin is correct that EclipseMob is interested in having many people
collect time/amplitude data of WWVB at 60 kHz.

The maximum sampling rate to be on all cell phones is 44.1 kHz.

The software takes advantage of undersampling the 60 kHz signal and that
there are not very many transmitters in that freq range so the subsampled
60 kHz signal does not fold onto another signal.

And as Martin stated, the receiver can also be used with a sound card. I
have a sound card that samples at 192 kHz.

Martin asked if there are other efforts. One other effort is Radio Jove in
which a number of folks will be recording data from Jupiter in the HF band.

Hope the above is useful.

73,
Bill Liles, NQ6Z