mw dish surplus

Samudra Haque samudra.haque at gmail.com
Wed May 3 09:20:57 CDT 2017

Just in case one (anyone) would like to experiment with satellite ODU,
there are a variety of flavors: C-band (much desired), Ku-band, and
Ka-band (desired). All of the upconversion takes place at the ODU.
However, commercially, I have owned and operated large fleet of VSAT
(Very Small Aperture Terminals) which typicaly use a modem (either 70
MHz, 140 MHz or L-band as intermediate frequency), and the TX
upconversion and RX conversion (both!) take place in a single housing,
that is the ODU in common parlance. Ex: Anacom transceivers
(https://www.anacominc.com/prod_anasat.html). So if you see a large box,
that includes: up/down converters, psu, HPA, dual synthesizers etc. good
for lots of microwave parts and waveguides.

On the other hand, most fixed satellite service TWO-WAY terminals have a
polarizer (either linear or circular) which has taps, and transducers
with different feeds- so that they TX signals are attenuated from the RX
signals. There you would use either a waveguide/coax to the "ODU" as
described above, for the RX path, and a higher power waveguide/coax for
the TX path.  Or, if you had a simple block up converter (L-band to Ku-,
Ka-, C-band) only, then a separate block down-converter (e.g., Ku-, Ka-,
C-, band to L-band) would be required.

Note: old "L-band" 950-1450 MHz, new "L-band" upto around 2000 MHz. Not
specific, look at the specs.
Also, there are often test bands on the GEO satellite transceivers for
carrier/tx/rx/loop back tests ...

/samudra

On 5/2/2017 4:12 PM, Tad wrote:
> That is what is typically called an "ODU" or out door unit. It is
> often coupled to the IDU over coax and runs an IF (intermediate
> frequency) and dc over that coax. The odu upconverts to the over the
> air frequency and amplifies the signal.
>
> Some manufacturers just have a form of Ethernet and power to the ODU
> instead and have the radio not just an amount and frequency converter
> outside.
>
> Tad
>
> On May 2, 2017 11:15 AM, "Alex Fraser" <beatnic at comcast.net
> <mailto:beatnic at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>     Saw these on a gov auction.  They are in Loudoun county VA.
>     2 of the antennas are on 10 GHZ and 4 are on 17GHz. The pictures
>     show a heat sink on the smaller antennas.  Perhaps there is a
>     transceiver built in?
>
>     https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1844379&trackId=50
>     <https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1844379&trackId=50>
>
>     --