Night of nights July 12

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 13 15:26:33 EDT 2017

https://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/events_nightofnights.htm

  post <http://theradioboard.com/rb/viewtopic.php?p=74795#p74795> by
*Nemozilch
<http://theradioboard.com/rb/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1632>* ยป
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:21 am
Night of Night Results from my QTH, White Hall, Va, (far northern Va),
Grid Square FM09wh. My QTH is in a rural area and I am on a ridge with
views of the Blue Ridge to the East and the Allegheny mountains to the
west. A pretty good radio location.

Between 00:57Z and 01:48Z I copied the following:
KPH on: 6477 RST 579, 8642 RST 539, 12808 RST 599+, 17016.5 RST599+
KFS on: 6365.6 RST 579, 12695.5 RST 599+, 17026 RST 569
NMC on: 6383 RST 59++, 8574 RST 599
I was surprised by the good signal strength on the higher frequencies. I
didn't expect that. There was just too much QRN on the 4 Mhz frequencies
to copy anything.
I was using my 125 ft dipole up 40 ft, fed with ladder line, with a
Johnson KW match box and an ICOM 7300 receiver with bandwidth of 100 Hz.
I really enjoyed hearing the stations. I was learning the code in
1952-53 and I often used the coastal marine stations weather broadcasts
for code practice. This really brought back memories of copying WLO and
WCC in those days, when I was 16. It was a moving moment for me when
about 0:120Z KPH called the roll of the now silent coastal stations and
then observed 3 minutes of silence.
Bob
Top
<http://theradioboard.com/rb/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=74795&sid=2ea0dbbb2fad9dcecb1b2556ef5de558#top>