Eclipse ham prep

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Mon Jul 31 20:10:20 EDT 2017

E-911 calls will generally preempt normal cell phone traffic (or have
access to some standby capacity) on mobile networks.  The mobile
networks can also free up radio capacity on cell sites by dropping or
reducing bandwidth allocations for data traffic.

I got a chance to see some interesting cell network usage data during an
earthquake in New Zealand some years ago.  (I was working for
Alcatel-Lucent at the time, and they had a bunch of their equipment in a
mobile operator's network in NZ.)  The earth moves, everyone picks up
their phone to call someone.  The network remained stable because those
signaling components were engineered for overload situations.  Usually
the weakest link is control plane/signaling traffic since the radio
channels can easily be reallocated very quickly.

This is also ignoring any GETS capability that might exist in those
networks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_Emergency_Telecommunications_Service

louie
wa3ymh