PCB design tools discussion request

Samudra Haque samudra.haque at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 17:42:40 EDT 2017

Hi, if you are an active PCB designer, I have a question for you:

(my background: Solidworks / Eagle Professional, HDI and Power Switching
PCB)

Requirements:

Some mechanical layout in 2D, visualizaiton in 3D helps fit the PCB design
into the volume desired. Mostly integrated circuit stuff of the
conventional variety > cell phone components variety.

No FPGA or Simulation. PCB layout to HDI specs and EMI controlled output.
Some high speed signalling.

What tool / toolchain are you using?

Technical Pros/Cons of: Altium (AD, CS, CW) or EMA (Orcad, Allegro) or
Autocad (Eagle) or ???

Cost Pros/Cons? Altium (AD, CS, CW) or EMA (Orcad, Allegro) or Autocad
(Eagle) or ???

Are there ways to progress from lower ($) tiers of these products to full
tier ($$$) in any of these families?

73 de N3RDX