Serial Data Quality Comparator Ideas

Joe Leikhim rhyolite at leikhim.com
Mon Dec 18 12:48:24 EST 2017

I am looking at making a simple device to measure signal quality of four
identical data streams that are arriving on different varying radio
paths and then qualitatively select the best one.

My thought is to use a simple 567 phase lock loop tuned to the baseband
frequency of the data.

Example for 16 Kbps, tune VCO to 8 KHz. If the incoming signal at pin 3
contains significant 8 KHz tone, the 567 would lock on and set a
received signal indication at pin 8. I would then amplify the loop
signal at pin 2 and detect the level of instability (noise and jitter) .

There would be four of these PLL circuits and another circuit would
select among the four, the ones with a received signal and then the one
with the lowest S/N at the loop.

Has anyone seen this approach in practice? Any flaws to this approach? I
imagine I will have to minimize the loop filtering at pin 2 to derive
the results I wish. But since the data will be impressed on the signal,
I am not sure how this will affect the measurement. Maybe I will need a
high pass filter ?

Thoughts. If I am reinventing the wheel, please let me know!

This is to be a device, so using test equipment is not the solution.

Thanks

--
Joe Leikhim