Latest QST?

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Mon Dec 18 17:29:55 EST 2017

So, I'm now to the point that I can read again.  In the pile of magazines is
the latest QST.  On page 30, I read that the magazine format is changing for
more modern and potentially easier reading, along with more interesting,
practical projects.

Then, I see the first DIY article, on the facing page (31) about these
updates to the magazine.  My lord.  A tube transmitter?  Complete with
warnings about high voltage.  Well, at least it's for 80 or 40 Meters.  Wait
a minute, what's this about a 12AX7 mic preamp?  Not CW?  Wait, 7290
kilocycles per second.  A new kind of SSB?  No, it's Amplitude Modulation.
AM????  Really??  (I know it's by Bob Heil, but how many hams are REALLY
going to build this project?)  Did someone find a huge warehouse of 12AX7s
that they need to push?  All of five Watts of AM, maybe the 6AG7 is the tube
to unload.

So, the lead DIY construction article in this newly designed, modern
magazine is fresh from the 1940s? My my.

Will next month's lead construction article on how to tame that spark gap?
Or how to make a matching cats whisker receiver.

Meanwhile, I have heard that at least a couple author's articles have been
turned down because they don't fit into QST.  Maybe because they used parts
available after 1950.  Way to attract fresh hams.

What am I missing here?
73, 72, Terry, N4TLF

PS:  AM, really?  It's too early for the April issue, Isn't it?  Where is
Wayne Green?