sizing a conductor for a pulsed current

samudra.haque at gmail.com samudra.haque at gmail.com
Sun May 13 17:26:58 EDT 2018

Hi, I am curious if I overdesigned conductors in a previously finished
circuit. Sometime in the past I had a number of testbeds which had inductors
which once charged, were discharged at low pulse repetitive frequency (say,
1..50 Hz).

For each discharge the voltage profile as determined using a 1000V probe to
an oscilloscope was as per the attached diagram. Yellow trace shows the
discharge. At that time the trace was taken, I didn't have a way to measure
current, but from circuit modeling it was about 50 to 40A peak, and reducing
rapidly in the first few nanoseconds to microseconds, and then constant, and
then down to zero . total duration about 250 microseconds or lower.

Due to the small time of the phenomenon it was difficult to get a hold on
then.

What would be a good strategy to size a conductor to carry the current? Am I
worrying too much about Average current/Peak current, and not enough about
temp. rise of conductors ?

73 de N3RDX

Samudra