Advice sought - isolation transformer inrush current limiting

Karl W4KRL W4KRL at arrl.net
Tue May 22 14:29:51 EDT 2018

Mark,

This is due to remanent flux in the transformer core. If the first half cycle of the line tries to magnetize the core in the same polarity, it will saturate the core and draw high current. One possible approach is to put a resistor in series with the line and cut out the resistor after the transformer core resets. An incandescent bulb, say 75W if you can find one, would be a good resistor.

That said, try an SL22 10008 NTC.

https://www.ametherm.com/inrush-current/transformer-inrush-current.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_47YBRBxEiwAYuKdw6_IzT-R5wYlOv0eMMWHP5owpuxpxYzNUo4YC3SoXzx-6Xj7CdVNiBoCnDsQAvD_BwE

Karl W4KRL