radiation can be your friend

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 5 14:50:54 EDT 2018

On 9/5/2018 12:58 PM, Richard Demaret wrote:
> should we worry about radon gas etc.?

   Definitely not to worry but do be concerned enough to determine if
Radon is present in one's particular environment. Fortunately, testing
kits are available. As a consequence of educating myself about such
things I no longer spend time exploring caves (or in dank basements) and
my home is well ventilated. However, I did grow up in the fifties
drinking milk so I've no doubt that my young bones received their share
of radioactive byproducts from above ground nuclear tests plus lead in
the drinking water since my youth was spent living in the lead belt.

  Later, while living much too close for comfort to three mile island
when it blew, my young family subsisted on powdered milk that had been
processed prior to the event until the potential danger had
significantly subsided several months later. In home radiation counters
helped to ease my concern. For awhile I was quite ready to pack up and
quickly return to the land of my youth.

  Environmental hazards (natural and man made) are everywhere and most
folks haven't a clue. In one way or another we're all unwitting
participants in a long running experiment, the costs of which have yet
to be fully tallied. Welcome to the brave new world.

Richard