[AWA] Web Site Put Up by CHRS with Great Historic Material

Richard O'Neill richardoneill at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 19:51:58 EDT 2018

    [AWA] Web Site Put Up by CHRS with Great Historic Material
    <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SparkGapCollectors/conversations/topics/418;_ylc=X3oDMTJxYzQxNWRtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzg3MDIyNDQxBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTU3Nzg5OQRtc2dJZAM0MTgEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTUzOTE3NTAwMA-->

        Tue Oct 9, 2018 10:45 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "Larry Dighera" ldighera
      <mailto:LDighera at att.net?subject=Re%3A%20%5BAWA%5D%20Web%20Site%20Put%20Up%20by%20CHRS%20with%20Great%20Historic%20Material>

Many thanks for the heads-up.

I found EARLY AMATEUR STATIONS when Spark Was King:
http://www.sowp.org/early-amateur-stations/ of particular interest.

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 14:22:57 -0700, "'Ludwell Sibley'
tubelore at jeffnet.org [antiquewirelessassociation]"
<antiquewirelessassociation at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 > The Californa Historical Radio Society has posted a mass of Great Stuff
 >on www.sowp.org <http://www.sowp.org/> - excellent photos, texts, even a
 >couple of videos. This is material from the files of the Society of
 >Wireless Pioneers, which was an association of about 500 radio
operators and
 >engineers for about 50 years, publishing the "Sparks Journal." The SOWP
 >disbanded a few years ago and handed about 1000 pounds of files in 40
boxes
 >to the CHRS. CHRS has lately been scanning masses of these treasures and
 >posting them.
 >

 >Under the "Recent Additions" page, there's a mass of photos:
 >
 > Two crisp portraits of Lee DeForest
 >
 > Photos of Francis and Ignatius McCarthy, said to be developers of a spark
 >radiophone transmitter (more below)
 >
 > Arc transmitter of ca. 5 kW size at Mare Island Naval Station, 1919
 >
 > Bill Breniman and Richard Johnstone, founders of SOWP. Breniman devoted
 >his elder life to editorship.
 >
 > A shipwreck on the coast of China (multiple images)
 >
 > United Wireless station at Leadville, CO ( ! ), 1905
 >
 > Pacific Wireless station at Avalon on Catalina Island, 1903
 >
 > Pacific Wireless station on Mt. Tamalpais, CA., 1906
 >
 > Pan Am "Philippines Clipper" aircraft, 1937 (multiple images)
 >
 > Civil Aviation Administration station KSF, 1945: Six operating positions
 >with Hammarlund Super Pro receivers, 14 operators depicted
 >
 > CAA station at Everglades, FL, ca. 1945
 >
 > KFRC broadcast control room, 1925
 >
 > Cutting & Washington 4A spark transmitter
 >
 >The above is just a sampling: there's lots more.
 >

 >Under the "Cartoons & Schematics" page, there's a drawing of the McCarthy
 >radiophone transmitter of 1906 (which I suspect never actually sent audio,
 >just buzzes and snaps, like the Father Joseph Murgas 'phone attempt at
 >Scranton about the same time).
 >

 >Under the De Forest photo album, there's a batch of photos of their
 >equipment, some of which may not have been commercialized
 >
 > One-kW quenched-gap transmitter
 >
 > One-Spherical-Audion jeweler's time-signal receiver. (a jeweler, to set
 >his master clock, could get leased time signals from Western Union, or
could
 >get Navy time signals sent over NAA. GE made a crystal time set ("OTB,"
 >Dec. 1993) and Chambers made another one-Audion receiver ("Radio Age,"
Aug.