POE?

Alex Fraser beatnic at comcast.net
Sat Mar 30 16:22:24 EDT 2019

Poe

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore—
     While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
“’Tis some visitor,” I muttered, “tapping at my chamber door—
             Only this and nothing more.”

Well no I mean POE, like Power Over Ethernet, but I like the poem too.
I want to use POE for some of my Raspberry Pi machines.
There is a hat for $20 that works with the 3B+'s POE pins, which break
out the rj45 to the board as pins.
There is a $8 module which can use those same pins and give you 5V which
you use jumpers to power the Pi.
There are active splitters providing 5V which go for $9 and you feed the
Pi via USB.
The cheapest POE active devices provide 12V and are used with IP
cameras. They can be had for $3.  I have some boards that will step the
12v to 5v. This might help with isolation.

So what have people been using for POE?

I guess POW (Power Over Wireless) would be hard to implement, nevermore,
nevermore...