anyone with an entry level FPGA development board (VHDL support) they don't need?

Martin dcmk1mr2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 19:05:42 EDT 2020

Samudra - the flowchart you posted is for the NIOS II Embedded Processor
Design Suite not Quartus Prime Lite for FPGA and SoCs.   NIOS II is a
fairly complex 32 bit processor that you probably would never need for an
embedded system.

If you want a complex development framework then Quartus is probably a good
choice - it will take you weeks or months to become proficient.   Once
proficient you can start learning a HDL and FPGA concepts.

ISE Design Suite, the IDE for older low end Xilinx Spartan FPGAs like the
Spartan 6 has been deprecated to help sales of new chips.

Note that Intel/Altera makes money on IP and there's a lot of open source
stuff available for Lattice.  I remember seeing an IDE that worked like
gnuradio-companion and took functional blocks like filters/
modulator/demodulator to compile for Lattice FPGAs.

--Martin